Thursday, May 7, 2009

alive: to enjoy a morning out.


It was love at first sight. I’ve driven by Huckleberry many times before, but never thought I had the time to stop in, wherever I was headed to. I drove by again the other night, and decided I would take my friend, Natalie, out for a surprise breakfast date. (because let’s be honest, who doesn’t love breakfast, dates, or any combo of?)

You know a place is really good when you arrive 5 minutes before opening and there are other people waiting for the doors to open. You walk in and are greeted by an airy space that is equal parts modern, familiar and fresh.

It makes you want to take a deep breath.


Chalkboards line the tops of the walls, inviting your eyes to take in all that Huckleberry has to offer, things like home made english muffins, pan au chocolat with vahlrona chocolate, and Niman Ranch maple-bacon biscuits.

I had done my research before I went in, and had heard stories that were legend about their green eggs and ham (a house made english muffin, topped with a sunny side up egg, La Quercia proscuitto, and a mix of arugula, spinach, and a light pesto.)


The place doesn't need music, the food does the singing.

The only way this breakfast would have been better is if I didn't have to work after, if there was a weekend edition of the newspaper involved, and I had either my running clothes or a dress with pockets on.

bright yellow sweater.

free parking.

open doors.

breeze.

white peach tea, complete with orange tea pot.

fresh roses in painted clay vases.

delicious breakfast.

blessed conversation.

beautiful friendship.

 Maybe it wasn’t the food. Maybe it wasn’t the fact that this place was so overly darling that I couldn’t help but squeal with delight, but rather the fact that at 8:30 a.m. this morning, my soul was refreshed and revitalized.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. drooling over those homemade english muffins as we speak....

    ReplyDelete