Tuesday, May 19, 2009

things that last.

This past weekend, my sister got married.

It was incredible, an affair that brought so many things full circle through God's faithfulness, grace and love.

One thing that I was starkly reminded of this weekend was the marvelousness and beauty of girlfriends. I got to stand by my sister on the day of her wedding, with 6 other women who have also walked with Megan and were willing to come from near and far to stand by her and affirm her commitment.

I see this vision of my dearest friends, the ones who journey together, as holding hands in front of a rolling sea.

our faces to the waves, hands clasped
 ready to take on the life that ebbs and flows.
feet planted firm.

There is something sacred about the link of a girlfriend. There are countless times that I have met the friends of my friends and given them hugs in lieu of handshakes because I know that if they are friends of my friends, they must be friends of mine. The link becomes a chain all too easily.

And it's beautiful. 





No comments:

Post a Comment